Ohio State University Attack

Nathan Janson

OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY – This Monday, at the Ohio State University campus, a student attacked multiple other students. The man, Abdul Razak Ali Artan, drove a car into a building, got out, and began slashing students with a knife until he was shot by the police.

Artan ran into people with his car, crashed it, and then chased people with a large kitchen knife, injuring eleven.

The policeman, thinking quickly, fired a few shots to scare the people away. Once the area was clear, he told Artan to surrender; he was then shot 3 times when he refused.

When the attack began, the university sent out a message: “Buckeye Alert: Active Shooter on campus. Run; Hide; Fight. Watts Hall. 19th and College.”

Students, unaware of what was going on, began to hide in classrooms, and even barricade doors, until they were told that it was safe.

Joe Juza, an LMC alumni, attends Ohio State and was scared by the incident. “It was very scary, everyone got a text message on their phone with the warning. We just looked at our professor to see what she would do, who quickly locked the door and closed the blinds. Everyone just stayed quiet, checking their phones to let their family and friends know that they were okay.”

Artan, the attacker, is a Muslim, who was born in Somalia. “I wanted to pray in the open, but I was scared with everything going on in the media. I’m a Muslim, it’s not what the media portrays me to be. If people look at me, a Muslim praying, I don’t know what they’re going to think, what’s going to happen.”

Because of Artan’s religious background, authorities are now speculating if the incident was as an act of terrorism.  Also, this attack was extremely unexpected to some of his friends and family.

When his parents were told what had happened they were shocked and his neighbor said he always seemed to be a good kid.

Authorities still aren’t sure of why Artan went on this rampage, but they will continue to investigate.