Red Ribbon Week

Red Ribbon Week

Anne Marie Nuter

LAKE MICHIGAN CATHOLIC-  Red Ribbon Week is a week to prevent excessive usage of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs.  It is a week celebrated by the majority of schools all around the world.

Red Ribbon Week falls on the 43rd week of the year, and will be hosted by LMC’s Students Against Destructive Decisions (S.A.D.D.) Club. Throughout the week, the club will be doing activities and announcements to help show students the dangers of drugs.

Everyday will start and finish with announcements from members of the S.A.D.D. Club. They will give drug facts, which will hopefully help prevent students from doing them.

On Monday morning, October 24th, the S.A.D.D. Club members will be putting up posters, handing out pencils and stickers, and will have a time during lunch for student to sign a poster, stating they “choose to be drug free.”  Later that day, students will assemble into the gymnasium for a rally with many different activities to show the dangers of drugs and alcohol.

Later in the week, each grade will make posters showing their Red Ribbon awareness.  Those posters will be graded and the winning class will get the privilege to wear jeans on Friday.

Also on Friday, some of the S.A.D.D. team members will be drawing names of the people who participated in all of the activities during the Monday rally.  There will be two from each class who will be presented with $10 gift cards.

Red Ribbon Week is really an excellent way for students to learn more about drugs and other violences in the world.

Hannah Starr, senior and member of Lake Michigan Catholic S.A.D.D. Club, is anxious to see how the whole Red Ribbon Week plays out.

“I was a founding member and have been part of the club for four years. When we first started out, we didn’t do much, but this year we have a rally, competitions, and gift cards. This is definitely the best it’s ever been.”

Thanks to the efforts of the S.A.D.D Club, after this week, the student body of LMC will have a better understanding of the dangers of abusing substances.