Winterfest Recap: Day 5

Katie Wertheimer

LAKE MICHIGAN CATHOLIC- Winterfest came to a close tonight but not without some excitement with the Laker on “ Extreme Spirit Day”. Each Laker came in sporting all things blue, white, and gold. 

To start off the evening of events, the Junior Class planned a pep assembly to gain some hype for the big game. Participants from each class, including a group from teachers, who took part in everything from a dance off performed by high school boys, to a game of lightning where Mrs. Vegter made a legendary free throw. 

The pep rally was also the winner of the Spirit Wheel was announced. After the points earned from participation in games were tallied, added to the scores from dress up days and hallway decorating, the Senior Class was gifted with the wheel.

Next, came game time where the J.V. girls and both Varsity teams played against Lawrence high school in two tight games. For more info on the games, take a look at https://thelakercurrent.org/3178/sports/winterfest-basketball/

Between the two varsity games, was the crowning of this year’s winterfest king, queen, prince, and princess. This year’s court consisted of Freshman Will Wertheimer and Christina Avello, Sophomores Holly Starr and Diego Nerio, Juniors Andy Conklin, Michael Golden, Peter Cao, Andrew Glotzbach, Hattie Latham, Wendy You, Sarah Jannings, and Leah Brucal, and Seniors Connor Casey, Ben Johnston, Vince Ireland, John Mansfield, Emily Lage, Elena Proos, Madeleine Johnston, and Ashley Herrera. 

Each couple was announced between games before the crowning, a job performed by last year’s prince and Princess, Kathleen Krieger and Ben Johnston.

Starting with the prince, Johnston took the crown and placed it on the head of Peter Cao, followed by Krieger who crowned Leah Brucal as this year’s princess. 

Next, came this year’s king and queen, crowned by 2019’s king, Michael Markoch and once again by Kathleen Krieger.  First Michael crowned Connor Casey as this year’s king, building up suspense to see who LMC’s queen would be. 

Finally, Krieger crowned this year’s queen as Madeleine Johnston, an avid supporter of the LMC’s Basketball Team’s, attending as many games as she can. It was a truly successful end to a festive week for the LMC Lakers.