Competitive Cheer Beats Records During Weekend Competitions

Chloe Simmons

St. Joseph- The Lake Michigan Catholic Cheer Team is at the peak of their season. This weekend the Laker Cheerleaders competed at two competitions: the BCS Championship and Cheer By the Pier. 

On Saturday, the competition started at 10am with the National Anthem sung by Chloe Simmons. The LMC Cheer Team performed first for Round 1 and it featured Ashley Herrera, Cindy Stutz, Mariah Sirk, Lexi Bradley, and Chloe Simmons. The tight motions, claps and on time jumps helped them to beat a program record that was held for the past 6 years. 

After Round 1, the girls were on fire. They improved their Round 2 with their jumps on time, legs straight on their back and front walkovers. Their round score ended as a program high score once again. The Lakers took another program high score in their Round 3 with a score of 30

The Lakers now rank Top Ten Division 4 in Michigan for the highest scores for Round 3. To check out their score for the top ten, be sure to click on the link at the end of the article. Beating two more program records only helped the team gain the confidence for their next competition on Monday evening. 

Monday’s competition took place at St. Joseph High School at 6pm. The Lakers began competing third for Round 1. Motions were tight and jumps were on time, but the team was on edge hoping to beat 700 points at another competition. 

Round 2 went through struggles and complications. With bent legs on walkovers and one fallen front walkover, the team was unsure about their success compared to Saturday’s competition. 

An unexpected surprise helped the team to get a burst of positive energy. The team had yet again accomplished two more program records for Round 1 and 2. With this energy, the LMC Cheer Team accomplished another program high score in Round 3, helping Lake Michigan Catholic Competitive Cheer Team become 9th in Division 4 for the highest Round 3 scores in the state of Michigan. 

LMC Competitive Cheer Team has two more competitions this week. They will compete at Lakeshore High School at 6pm today. Be sure to attend the local competition. Their Districts Tournament will take place at Bronson High School this Saturday. Wish the Laker girls good luck in their mission to beat all the teams and obtain a District title for Lake Michigan Catholic High School.