Covington High School Student Legal Team Sues Washington Post For $250 Million Dollars

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sarah Jannings

KENTUCKY, UNITED STATES- Attorneys representing Nick Sandmann, a junior at Kentucky High School, involved in a confrontation that went viral on social media announced Tuesday, February 19th, that they would be suing The Washington Post for $250 million in compensatory and punitive damages. Sandmann became a target for outrage after a video of him standing face-to-face with a Native American elderly man, Nathan Phillips, while wearing a red “Make America Great Again” hat surfaced in January.  

High school Theology teacher, Mr. Mansfield, when asked to comment on this current lawsuit stated, “I am averse to lawsuits in general.  It seems that young Mr. Sandmann was treated quite unfairly, and I believe that it reveals some disturbing facts about contemporary American society, but I would be disinclined to seek legal redress for such injuries.”

Sandmann was one of a group of students from Covington High School attending the anti-abortion March for Life in Washington, D.C., while Phillips was attending the Indigenous Peoples’ March on the same day. Sandmann and the Covington students were initially accused of initiating the confrontation, but other videos and the students’ own statements showed that they were verbally accosted by a group of African American street preachers who were shouting insults both at them and a group of Native Americans.

When asked what he would do if he were in Sandmann’s position, sophomore Andrew Glotzbach stated, “I admire Nick’s ability to keep his composure in that situation. If I were in that situation, I’m not sure I would’ve been able to have reacted as well with all the noise from both groups of people, but if I could, I would’ve done exactly what Nick did: nothing. I would think the drumming man and the other group of people shouting at him would go away if I ignored them for long enough.”

Sandmann and Phillips have both said they were trying to defuse the situation.  Last week, investigators hired by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Covington concluded that the students did not instigate the confrontation with Phillips.  

President Trump tweeted in favor of Sandmann and his actions and wishes him good luck as him and his team take on The Washington Post.

“The Washington Post ignored basic journalistic standards because it wanted to advance its well-known and easily documented biased agenda against President Donald J. Trump.” Covington student suing WAPO. Go get them Nick. Fake News!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 20, 2019

When asked whether or not he agreed with Nick Sandmann’s actions against The Washington Post, sophomore Jake Jozwiak, who is not Catholic, but came to LMC during his freshman year stated, “I didn’t really care about it too much at first, but at the same time I kinda support the kid and what he’s doing I mean The Washington Post has been accused of fake news for a long time, they’re always generally bias and given the wrong information.  I mean I do agree with the kid, I just think the price point he’s asking for just isn’t going to get him a win in this lawsuit.”
Whether or not you agree with Mr. Sandmann, he is taking on The Washington Post, which definitely won’t be easy.  It will be interesting to see how this situation plays out, so stay tuned to see if Mr. Sandmann and his legal team can win this lawsuit!  

Works Cited:

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/430707-trump-praises-covington-student-suing-washington-post-go-get-them

https://www.foxnews.com/us/covington-high-students-legal-team-sues-washington-post