Kibler Reviews: Happy Death Day 2U

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.imdb.com%2Ftitle%2Ftt8155288%2F+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Kibler Reviews: Happy Death Day 2U

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8155288/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8155288/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8155288/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8155288/

Melanie Kibler

Happy Death Day is back, and honestly I’m not furious about it… Happy Death Day is back, and honestly I’m not furious about it… Happy Death Day is back, and honestly I’m not furious about it…. Happy… Wait… I am not going to be like this movie, and just repeat everything over and over again.

On Valentine’s Day Blumhouse Productions (Split, Get Out, The Purge) released a sequel to Happy Death Day and it wasn’t bad, but there were some things that the Production Company reused from the first movie.  However, it does stick with a theme full of slapstick humor, jumpscares and sit-on-the-edge-of-your-seat moments.  

WARNING! FROM THIS POINT ON THERE MAY BE SOME SPOILERS FROM THE 1ST MOVIE, SO IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN IT STOP READING NOW!!!!!

Happy Death Day 2U opens up exactly where the 1st movie left off, except this time we see it from the point of view of Carter’s (Israel Broussard) roomate, Ryan Phan (Phi Vu).  He had to sleep in his car because Tree (Jessica Rothe) was staying the night with her boyfriend in his dorm room.

Ryan goes through his day as usual, until he is killed and the day starts over.  Now I know what you’re thinking, ‘so now it’s Ryan who’s just going to die over and over?’ Well, my friend, you would be mistaken, Ryan only dies once since Tree gets involved.

Her and Carter try to protect Ryan by taking him to… the most crowded place on campus (AKA the basketball game, which happens to be filled with people in creepy baby masks?) Great idea, right?

It’s no surprise the killer happens to be there, but luckily Tree and Carter catch him and reveal his identity. Which is a different Ryan from a different universe. Buckle your seatbelts, it’s about to get weird.

Basically, we find out that other Ryan came to kill normal Ryan because normal Ryan was going to make a huge mistake that other Ryan believed was a horrible idea, but when the three college students questioned other Ryan he said that normal Ryan needed to die and then normal Ryan messed with this weird machine thingy and there was a big explosion.  WHEW! Trust me, I saw the movie and there is no easier way to explain this. Also confusing my readers is always a lot of fun :).

Anyway, that big explosion sends Tree back to the day before, much to her chagrin.  But this time she finds out that she is in a different dimension, and there are a few changes that aren’t so subtle.

Her mom is now alive, her boyfriend is dating someone else, and her roomate is not the murderous crazy chic that she is in Tree’s dimension. Obviously Tree has to figure out how to get out of the eternal death loop for a second time, so she heads to the place where it all started: Ryan’s lab.

The college students realised that they would have to test hundreds of different theories, but all of their work would delete when the day reset.  So Tree worked to memorize all the theories and then recite them back to the people the next day.

Tree, however, didn’t want to be murdered each night, so she found fun ways to kill herself.  Since I’m not going to spoil this movie, you have to go see it to learn what happens in the end.

My honest opinion about the movie is that Happy Death Day 2U is a slightly confusing, slightly scary, slightly repetitive, but an overall fun movie.  

Yes, I realise that the concept is very repetitive, but the plot does change enough to offer a new story line.  Also, Jessica Rothe’s facial expressions throughout the entire movie is mostly what saves the movie.

If you liked the first Happy Death Day you should go see Happy Death Day 2U, but if you didn’t like the first movie you will definitely hate this one.