Regionals Bound

Katie Wertheimer

GOBLES, MICHIGAN- On Friday, February 15, LMC´s competitive cheer team competed in their District competition. This tiny team fought hard and finished 3rd place, earning themselves a spot in Regionals as one of the top four of fourteen.

In round one, the Lakers came out of the gate  with a strong score of 208.5 and stood in second place, only  behind Lawton, a season favorite for the district title, at the end of round one.

Although they had slight timing issues in certain areas, LMC began strong in the difficult competition and scored on the higher end of their season score spectrum. With lots of nerves and adrenaline, the ladies went into round 2 focused and ready to go.

Despite their hard work, the Lakers did take a hit in the next round. With one girl doing the wrong jump, combined with the ten point deduction they were already hit with by not having the minimum number of six girls on the mat, LMC took a step back to fourth place.

They were really stuck between a rock and a hard place going into round 3, being placed high enough to advance, but with only a two point difference between them and 3rd place and them and 5th place. It was really up to their round three to define their fate.

The Lady Lakers went into the final round very nervous, although they are known for their top notch stunts, their nerves were making their warmups rocky and causing some anxiety amongst the team.

Fortunately, despite previous hesitation, LMC entered the mat for their final round and the last to compete and killed every stunt and scored the highest score of the season of 300.8, as well as the highest at the competition, and became ranked tenth in the state for stunting in their entire division.

Head Coach, Josh Fairbanks, was ecstatic with the results and is very excited for where his team can go.

¨These ladies went out and proved to themselves that hard work, dedication, and selflessness pays off. We went into Districts with high expectations for the outcome. Things did not go as planned for round 2 and we went into round 3 with our backs against the wall. The entire team came together, stepped up, and put together the best round 3 our program has ever done.”

The small, but mighty team accomplished great things and has high hopes for their Regional competition and the future season. You can come witness their skills in Caledonia on Saturday, February 23.