Lake Michigan Catholic Band Concert

Katie Wertheimer

LAKE MICHIGAN CATHOLIC-Wednesday, December 6, LMC hosted their annual band concert and choir performance. Band Director, Mr. Jarvie, was, once again, able to provide the Laker family with festive music and entertainment for all.

The show began with a performance from the fifth grade band. They played a variety of traditional and nostalgic songs including Hot Cross Buns, Jingle Bells, Jolly Old St. Nicholas, and Good King Wenceslas.

After that, the newest members of the middle school band program, the sixth grade class,  provided the crowd with some of their musical stylings. The sixth graders played an array of unique and unconventional choices like The Thunderer by John Philip Sousa, Rondeau by Jean-Joseph Mouret, and Rock.com by John Higgins.

Along with Mr. Jarvie’s conducting, Miss Laura Roth, an intern teacher who has been working with the school over the last couple months, led some of the songs as well. After the fifth and sixth grade bands performed, the concert took a turn to feature the middle-high school choir as they performed an assortment of classic Christmas hymns.

After the choir’s showing of Away in a Manger, Emmanuel, and Angels We Have Heard on High, the 7th and 8th graders showed their stuff while playing some popular songs including Sleigh Ride, American Legion, and the fan favorite, All I Want for Christmas is You.

After the performance bands played, both the 7th and 8th Grade Jazz Band and the High School Jazz Band took the stage. They played fun and traditional tunes like Feliz Navidad, My Favorite Things( from The Sound of Music), and even were joined by choir member, Chloe Simmons, in a rendition of Let It Snow that truly was a show stopper.

Finally, the very popular High School Band came out for their time to shine. They played renditions of songs like The American Way, Canon for Christmas, L Fresh Aire Christmas, Goin’ Home for the Holidays. By the end of the performance, the audience was wowed and had had  their fill of quality Christmas music.

Jarvie said that he was very proud of the students and performers and is already cooking up ideas for next year’s show.

“The band concert represented Lake Michigan Catholic at its finest. The large number of students who performed so well shared with the community, parents, family. It really was a cross with the elementary to high school. It was just a great time for everybody.”

Now that they have moved on from the Christmas Band concert, all of their focus will go into preparing for their upcoming trip to Florida to perform.