• September 24Homecoming Week: Friday - Extreme Spirit Day

• September 24Homecoming Week: Thursday - Theme Day

• September 24Homecoming Week: Tuesday - Denim Day

Defense is The Name of The Game As Lakers Fall To Mustangs on Homecoming Night

Michael Markoch

KOHN SPORTS COMPLEX- Friday night was a bitter end to the Homecoming festivities for Lake Michigan Catholic as the Laker varsity football team fell to the River Valley Mustangs 16-0.

The Lakers struggled all night to get the offense going as the Mustangs defense kept quarterback Christian Monconduit uncomfortable all night.  Monconduit said he was slow to adjust to the pressure and he struggled to think quickly on his feet.

“The lack of protection made finding receivers harder because I had to think faster and worry about the defenders coming after me.”

The Lakers’ defense played pretty well to say the least, but they failed to stop the Mustangs’ running game when needed, especially when it came to Mustang Senior, Joey Schmidt, who had 202 rushing yards.  

LMC took a drive inside the Mustang 10-yard line during the second quarter, but the drive was halted by one of Monconduit’s three interceptions.  

River Valley scored on the opening possession of the game with a touchdown run from 4 yards out, and then once again right before halftime on a quarterback keeper.  Both scores ended with a successful two-point conversion giving the Mustangs a 16-0 halftime lead. That lead would stand for the rest of the game.

The Lakers ran the ball 23 times for only 30 yards while the Mustangs ran it 59 times for a whopping 356 yards.  River Valley gained twelve more first downs than the Lakers and had four fewer penalties.

It wasn’t all bad for the Lakers offensively, though, the team had two chunk yardage plays, a fake punt pass to Sophomore Jake Jozwiak that gained 41 yards and a 44 yard run by Countryside Academy’s Daiden Shaw.

These plays were not nearly enough to overcome the deficit, but Monconduit says the defense gave the Lakers something to build off of in the future.

“Those plays helped bring a spark in the offense and showed us we can move the ball and helped us to not give up in the game.  Our defense played the best they’ve been all year and gave us something to improve even more in the future. We held a team averaging 33 ppg to 16 and that means something.”

The game marked the last homecoming game for the seniors, and the emotions were high especially for Monconduit.

“My emotions were high, I wanted to play my hardest and leave a mark for my senior year.  I think all the seniors did their best to leave their mark and we left behind a legacy here which is all I really wanted to do.”

The loss drops the Lakers to 0-5 (0-2 BCS Blue) and the win gives the Mustangs a record of 4-2 (2-1 BCS Blue).

The Lakers will have a bye week next week before traveling to Bridgman High School to take on the South County Cougars to close out their season.