• September 24Homecoming Week: Friday - Extreme Spirit Day

• September 24Homecoming Week: Thursday - Theme Day

• September 24Homecoming Week: Tuesday - Denim Day

DEFAY THROWS PERFECT GAME TO WIN DISTRICTS

Jack Janson

New Buffalo High School- The Lake Michigan Catholic Lakers had no trouble winning their district in baseball. After mercying Eau Claire 18-0 in 3 innings, it was time for the Lakers to play one of their biggest rivals, the Michigan Lutheran Titans.

The Titans batted first and were easily shut down by Laker’s pitcher Matt Defay, who struck out the first three batters of the game.

Now, with LMC up to bat they managed to get two players on the bag who were brought in by Jack Howard’s bomb into right center field. ML  quickly bounced back though, and retired the inning.

The Titans bats were not on Saturday and Defay was not helping. In the top of the second he threw another two strikeouts.

Unlike Michigan Lutheran, the Lakers were hitting very well, especially in thee second inning. They started the inning with Dominic Domico bombing one into left field, putting himself on first, until he  proceeded to second by stealing.

The next person up to bat was Christian Monconduit who hit a single putting the runners on the corners.

The Titans pitcher made a huge mistake trying to pick off Christian at first and hesitated allowing the runners to advance and have bring Domico one home to make it 3-0.

Next up was Matt Defay who sent one  deep into left field bringing in a run. Not long after that, the Titans changed their pitcher. This change didn’t help much and led to a pass ball allowing Kyle Juza to steal who was walked earlier in that inning. Still, with only one out and the score 5-0 Jack Howard picked up an RBI adding one more to the scoreboard.

Once again ML had no chance and still did not pick up a hit in the top of the third but their defence did some work and made LMC go three up, three down to close the inning.

In the fourth, the Titans were inches away from getting their first runner but Juza made a great play and got the out. The lakers also picked up two more quick runs and ML made another pitching change in this inning. To end the inning and make it 10-0, freshman Joe Kissane crushed one into right field bringing in two more runs.

Being only the fourth inning it could not be called a mercy yet, and the Lakers had to finish the top of the fifth to end the game which is exactly what they did.

Matt Defay closed the game claiming a perfect game with no hits or walks for ML, and no errors for the Lakers. LMC took home the district finals trophy and made it to regionals.