SIX JUNIOR STUDENTS HONORED WITH NHS INDUCTION

Michael Markoch

BERNARD´S CATHOLIC CHURCH- On Wednesday, March 21, six juniors (Evan Brown, Nathan Janson, Michael Markoch, Caroline McLoughlin, Adriana Nerio, and Cole Tubman) were inducted into the Lake Michigan Catholic John Meyer Chapter of the National Honors Society.

The night started out with Mass and then proceeded to the ceremony itself.  Senior members of NHS were in attendance to welcome the newcomers and remind the students of what the NHS represents and how to be a good member.  

Janson loved the ceremony and thought Mass was important for the ceremony.

¨I thought it was a well put together presentation; I thought it was good we had Mass before because part of the reason we do this is for our faith.¨

The juniors were spoken to about the four pillars of the society: Character, Scholarship, Leadership, and Service by senior members, and then they recited the NHS pledge for the first time that they will display and live by for the rest of their high school lives.

McLoughlin has high accompishments she wants to achieve as a new member.

¨I hope that I can continue to live by the four pillars and encourage others to follow them.¨

Next came the time for the students to officially become inducted.  The students headed up to the front of the Church and one by one they each lit a candle representing the six new members.  After that, the juniors officially became members of the National Honors Society.

Nerio was glad she received this honor and was excited for what’s to come.

¨I feel proud knowing that my hard work has paid off and knowing that it’s beneficial for my future.¨

Ms. Schmid then read the inductees acceptance essays, with each one stating why each member thought they would be a good fit for the NHS.  All the essays were wonderful and added to the justification for each student´s induction.

Following applause and photo ops, the students, parents, administrators, and Fr. Bob moved on to the social hall for cake, cookies, and punch.  It was truly an excellent ending to an excellent night.