LMC COMMEMORATES FLORIDA SHOOTING VICTIMS BY PRAYER SERVICE

Tim Kessler

LAKE MICHIGAN CATHOLIC – On February 14th, 2018, a mass shooting occurred at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland Florida. A total of seventeen people were killed, including two teachers, three seniors, one junior, two sophomores, and six freshman.

Here at LMC, the school decided to hold a prayer service for the victims and their families on March 14th at the local St Joseph Catholic Church.  Seventeen members of the school, including fithteen students and two facultiy members were selected to represent the lives lost at the Parkland shooting in southern Florida.

The selected students and teachers were each assigned with a single candle with a name printed on its front, representing the life of of one of the victims lost. Led by Catholic priest Fr. Bob Kregian, the representatives slowly filed out of the sacristy one by one as their candle was being called off from the podium.

Each person walked slowly down the center isle, bowing before the altar; they then proceeded to their assigned spot. After all 17 people had gathered in the front of the church, the congregation rose from the pues and took part in the prayer service led by Fr. Bob Kregian.

Jake Koenig was one of the seventeen people who represented the Florida Shooting victims.

“I thought it was a very emotional experience for many of the people there, and it also held a special place in my heart.”

Although everyone may not share the same views of what the solution to this problem is, most people agree that it was a horrific event; the prayers of many are going toward the students and victims of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, located in Parkland Florida.