MRS. MAHER MOVES UP TO THE HIGH SCHOOL

MRS. MAHER MOVES UP TO THE HIGH SCHOOL

Melanie Kibler

LMCHS – Mrs. Maher has been at the middle/high school for a couple months now, but most of the student body still doesn’t know exactly what her job is.  Mrs. Maher helps Mr. Heath in various ways.

She jokingly said that her job is “anything Mr. Heath asks me to do.”  In reality, she helps Mr. Heath with teacher and student support.  

The “teacher support” category includes going into the classrooms while the teachers are teaching and observing them.  Then she discusses with Mr. Heath what the teachers are doing well at and what they need to work on.

The “student support” section entails assisting the students who need help with their academics.  She wants to start a program where students who are struggling will come and meet with her to learn the concepts.

There is an obvious difference between the middle/high school and the elementary school and Mrs. Maher has adapted to meet them.  One difference that she likes is the fact that she is not wholly responsible for the building and everything that happens in it, but she can still help out.  Another difference is how she greets the students.

“Most students of this age group don’t need the hugs like they do in the elementary school.  I still greet people in the morning, but I don’t get the hugs that I used to.”

There are quite a few things that Mrs. Maher enjoys about her new position.  She really like the age group on an academic level, because she used to be a middle school teacher.  She also likes the fact that she is helping lessen Mr. Heath’s burden.

Mrs. Maher want to let the students know, “I enjoy everyday and can’t wait to get to work.”