• September 24Homecoming Week: Friday - Extreme Spirit Day

• September 24Homecoming Week: Thursday - Theme Day

• September 24Homecoming Week: Tuesday - Denim Day

LAKER CHEER TAKES SECOND

Katie Wertheimer

BUCHANAN, MICHIGAN- Wednesday, January 24, LMC´s competitive cheer team competed at their second conference meet of the season and took second place. They not only got season high scores in all three rounds, but were only two points away from taking the win and beating many other skilled teams.

The night started with the ladies slightly nervous about their performance, but they were still fairly excited and more confident than they had been in the past. They warmed up for their first round and it was solid from the start.

Coming into this meet, the Lakers were fourth overall in there conference, but they sure turned it around at this competition. They took the mat for round 1 and had a very strong showing.

With only a few placement and timing errors here and there, they were able to score 198.7, and start the competition off right. Next was round two, where the girls have struggled this week during practice.

Over the previous week, the girls skills and timing have struggled, leading them to expect to do poorly, but they surprised themselves with an impressive performance, where every girl hit her walkover and skills.

Finally, the girls took the mat for round three, where stunting and tumbling were displayed, They had been consistently solid throughout the week, hitting stunts they only dreamt of.

Tumbler, Miah Sirk, was extremely proud of her team.

¨Everyone was very focused and confident. It helped a lot with achieving our great outcome¨

The girls made it through the final round hitting all of their stunts and tumbles. They were all very proud of themselves.

It was time for announcing scores and placements as the girls sat on the mat with fingers crossed. As they slowly announced places 6- 3 and the girls yet to hear their name. Finally, they were announced as second place with a season high score of 634.78.

Head coach, Josh Fairbanks, was also unbelievably proud of the girls and their new found confidence.

¨Tonight was a true eye opener for not only this Laker squad, but anyone going into Districts with us this year. I’ve been telling the team that they have all of this talent and potential but we have to find a way to focus and be confident on the mat. The results tonight are a testament to all of them beginning to do that. This is the highest we have ever placed in a conference meet and it’s a big achievement defeating schools that are 4-5 times our size. This is evidence that the rest of our season could be truly great. ¨
The Lakers displayed an excellent performance during the competition. They are now one step closer to Districts, where they hope to place and return to Regionals for the the second year in a row.