BEST TO WORST PIXAR MOVIES OF ALL TIME

Nathan Janson

LMCHS – Disney Pixar opened up a whole new world of animation when they released their first movie, Toy Story, in 1995. Since then they have come out with a total of 19 movies and most of them are amazing.

After seeing their newest movie, Coco, my brother and I decided to make a list of best to worst Pixar movies to reflect their long lived success, so here you go and we hope you enjoy.

1. Toy Story

Toy Story is one of the greatest animated films in the history of animated films, and definitely deserves to be number one on this list. Not only did it stun its viewers, but it also created a path for an amazing new studio and whole a new world of animated films. This movie had all you could ask for in a film, with a clever plot, amazing characters, and animation that stunned the world, leaving children with memories that would last a lifetime.

1. The Incredibles

The Incredibles is one of the most genious films ever created. In terms of marketing, it took superheroes, which almost every kid is obsessed with, and put them into an animated film. Also, it has an amazing plot with an ex superhero having a midlife crisis, which leads to him getting in trouble, and… well I won’t spoil it for you, but if you haven’t seen it yet, you need to right now.

1. Monsters Inc.

Monsters Inc. is an incredible animated film and certainly deserved this high of a spot amongst other great movies. It is an extremely creative movie, with an exciting plot that will have you glued to the screen throughout the whole movie. It also has a great cast that is extremely entertaining. All in all, Monsters Inc. is a classic and a must see no matter how old you are.

1. Finding Nemo

Pixar clearly expresses their creativity with this movie. Taking the viewers to a new world under the ocean waves and bringing kids a story showing the love of a father. This movie is an incredible family movie, especially for single parents because of the dad’s persistence to find his son. In addition, Dory, the fish with short term memory loss, helps the dad find his son and adds some comedy to the film. However, there are a few scenes that begin to seem almost unnecessary and that’s how it arrives at number four on our list.

1. Ratatouille

Ratatouille is certainly a very special movie to me. The lowest of creatures rises to becoming the mastermind of a well known restaurant in the beautiful city of Paris. This is the one movie that I would watch any day of the week. Although there are some questions I have about this film like; how does the rat control the chef with just using his hair and why does the chef not have an Italian accent like all of the other characters. Overall, I was very impressed with this show and I think it deserves more fame than it gets.                 

1. Coco

The latest addition to Pixar’s collection, Coco, totally surpassed my expectations. The plot twist (spoiler alert) totally caught me off guard. At the beginning of the movie I thought I already knew what was going to happen; however, that was not at all the case. By the end of the movie my eyes were watering (but I didn’t cry because I’m a big boy). Anyway, for not expecting much of this movie I was gratefully surprised by the quality animations and the general plot of this new Pixar film.

1. Up

Up is a great movie that will bring out many emotions, making almost all laugh and many others cry. The beginning of Up is absolutely incredible and many would argue that it deserves a higher spot on this list, but the climax is weak. Don’t get me wrong, this is a great movie, but I just wish it would have finished off stronger, especially since the beginning of it is absolutely amazing.                                            

1. Toy Story 3

Toy Story 3 is an exciting sequel that follows up the first two Toy Story movies nicely. I wasn’t expecting much of this movie, since Toy Story 2 wasn’t that good, and I didn’t think that there was much more that they could do with the whole toys being alive concept, but they disproved me greatly. This movie is extremely unpredictable, as it opens up a whole new world of toys. Despite all this, the ending is kind of questionable and it can be a little bit scary for younger kids.                  

1. Toy Story 2

Toy Story 2 is a great movie, but amongst other Pixar movies it doesn’t deserve higher than number 9. The toys go on another exciting, fun adventure, but it just didn’t follow up the original Toy Story as well as I would have liked. Also, as much as I like Star Wars, I think that Pixar took the references to it too far. All in all, this is a good movie, but has its problems, which brings it to number 9.

1. Cars

Ok, cars is a nicely done film; however, looking back at it I just think that it’s not amazing. It really is a good story, but I just don’t see what’s so special about it. Sure there’s a little bit of a surprising ending but I would have liked to see something more. Maybe if it didn’t conclude in such a happy ending and they threw one more curveball it would have put the cherry on top. In the end, it’s a descent movie and it belongs right at number 10.

1. A Bug’s Life           

This was the second film created by Pixar and it’s a good one, just not a great one. I like the idea of using bugs and the execution is ok. However, there’s not much that you can make out of it, which  is clearly shown throughout the movie. The ant spills all of the food and then the grasshoppers who take all of their food are mad. So what does the ant do? He goes and gets a not so super crew and they make a bird and the bird catches fire. There’s just a little too many subpar scenes and poorly done scenes that brings it to number 11.

1. WALL-E

I’m sorry all you environmentalists, but WALL-E is overrated. It’s still a very well put together film, but it is definitely overrated. These movies are made for kids and for a kid this movie is just boring. Although they have exciting scenes in space with cool robots, the whole first part of the movie has very little talking and just seems to drag on. Also, I think the message is great, but because of poor execution, it landed at number 12.

1. Inside Out

Inside Out is one of Pixar’s best movies from the past 3 years, but it has quite a few flaws that put it at number 13. The idea of different emotions being alive inside us is awesome and the execution is pretty good. The biggest problem I have with this movie though is how Joy (one of the emotions) spends the whole time looking for the core memories and they end up being kind of meaningless. Also, the part where she is looking for the core memories drags on. It is an overall good movie that is good for kids and will make anyone laugh, but it just isn’t good enough to make it any higher on this list.

1. Monsters University

This movie was absolutely hilarious. I honestly think it might be the funniest of the Pixar movies. That being said, it does have some flaws, like the majority of the people that watch this are kids. I feel like the fact that it takes place in a college makes it harder to create a good story, especially since many of the jokes only apply to people who have been to college (and certainly not little kids).

1. Brave

Brave was not my favorite Pixar movie, but I still liked it. It’s one of three Pixar movies that focuses mainly on humans and I like that, but it’s just not very meaningful. It doesn’t have anything special, funny, or sad like all of the other Pixar movies. That being said, I do really like the story though so it’s not bad.

1. Finding Dory

Honestly, this movie is not that bad and it met my expectations. That being said, my expectations were not set very high. I think I have to mention how adorable Dory was as a baby. I don’t think I’ve ever said “awww” to an animation, until I saw baby Dory. I would call this movie a nice try and say the only reason it’s so low is because all of Pixar’s other movies are so good.

1. Cars 3

Cars 3 was very disappointing, even if it was better than Cars 2. I started off with low expectations after Cars 2, but still had hope because the first Cars was a good movie. The movie started off decently, but had a major plot twist at the end that was awful. Also, some of the scenes are just dumb, like when some of the main characters are in a demolition derby. Pixar is just capable of much more than what they produced with this film and that is why it has been placed so low.

1. The Good Dinosaur

The Good Dinosaur had some good scenes and amazing animation, but weak characters and an awful plot. First of all, the main character, Arlo, was extremely annoying and a constant disappointment. For the plot, they started off extremely similar to The Lion King and then just dragged it on. On the bright side, it is probably the best animation I have ever seen, but that’s about the only positive part about it.

1. Cars 2

There are some very good reasons for this being at the bottom of our list. Cars was a pretty good movie, but I think we can all agree that this movie was trash. I am very disappointed and sad that Pixar made something of this low quality. Also, what happened to Lightning Mcqueen? In this movie he’s not even the main character which is very upsetting. Don’t get me wrong, Mator is a great guy and he’s hilarious, but he definitely does not deserve the main character position in a movie. I still question what they were thinking when they made this plot. Seriously, spy cars? I just think Pixar can do better and I hope they fired whoever put together that pitiful story.