SHOULD STUDENTS STOP COMPLAINING WHEN IT ISN´T A SNOW DAY?

Sarah Jannings

LAKE MICHIGAN CATHOLIC- The snow has been coming down and all week the students of Lake Michigan Catholic have been waiting for a snow day.  Many of the students have been upset that there hasn’t been a snow day all week and they just don’t know why.

Students get very upset and complain when they think it is going to be a snow day and it turns out that they have to wake up and go to school anyway.  Students don’t understand how Mr. Berlin makes his call for a snow day and all the thought that goes into his early morning decision.  

¨I think we should have a snow day when there is so much snow that I can’t see outside,¨ said freshman, Grace Craig.

Students should stop complaining when they don’t have a snow day because they need to realize that just because there is snow outside and it is chilly, that doesn’t necessarily mean there is going to be a snow day.

¨On Monday night I didn’t want to go to school the next day and I stayed up until 2am thinking it was going to be a snow day.  I was really upset when I didn’t understand as to why it wasn’t called a snow day,¨ said Craig.

On mornings that Berlin suspects that he might have to cancel school he wakes up at 5:00 am and begins to monitor the weather conditions along with the status of schools surrounding LMC.  He also takes into consideration the areas in which the students of LMC come from.

Additionally, he sometimes communicates with the superintendents from Lakeshore and St. Joseph.  Since these two schools are in the general vicinity of LMC, LMC will most likely be closed if these two schools are closed as well.

He usually tries to make this call before 6:00 am, so then the bus drivers have time to react to his decision.  There are many aspects that go into the the decision into calling a snow day.  

The one nice thing is now everyone has access to a TV and cell phones to view great radar weather apps, along with the forecasts.  Berlin keeps a watch on those, but sometimes the decision can be extremely difficult.  

One hard fast rule is if the wind chill is at or near -20 degrees Fahrenheit in which we would probably cancel.

¨It is truly a judgment decision, one that can be difficult to make. I will always err on the side of caution, particularly because we have so many students who drive themselves from great distances to come to school. I would be heartbroken if any of our students were ever to be injured or killed trying to drive to school during inclement weather,¨ said Berlin.

Students need to realize that deciding whether or not to have a snow day is a very tricky decision.  Mr. Berlin wants to put no one in a situation where they might possibly become injured or killed when driving to school during inclement weather.  

However, if the roads are a little icy, it’s snowing, and it’s cold, that doesn’t necessarily mean that school should be canceled.  Students should stop complaining because even if it is fun to have a snow day, they can’t always have them.  

The students need to become aware of Mr. Berlin´s process along with the many factors that play into deciding whether or not it will be a snow day.  Complaining isn’t going to make the situation any better and besides, when school truly does get canceled because a inclement weather, it just makes the students and staff enjoy it that much more.  

Sometimes the best moments in life take time and patience and complaining about not having a snow day isn’t going to get you any closer to having one.