BEARDS. WHY NOT?

Back to Article
Back to Article

BEARDS. WHY NOT?

Seth Collins

LMC HIGH SCHOOL – For many ages now, the growth of facial hair amongst the students of Lake Michigan Catholic has been banned. This policy has risen a good deal of protest from the students who see it as unnecessary.

One such student, Tommy Koenig, says,

“Look at me, I’m Tommy Koenig and I’m the most charming and likeable guy in school. I also grow a killer beard. Let me grow a beard. Look at me, I’m Tommy Koenig.”

Another student, Zachary Rogers, had similar sentiments regarding the subject.

“Jesus had a beard, why can’t I?”

Now, I must state that this is not for the sake of condemning this “no-shave” policy or pushing for its abolishment; however, I am presenting a mutually beneficial compromise.  

The officers of the Sacred Life Club at LMC have proposed that LMC allow their students to pay a donation of $20 to the club and in return those students will not be required to shave for the duration of Advent.

I believe this to be an excellent way to give the students a reason to get involved in the school that corresponds with their own interests and wants.  And while it temporarily suspends what I believe to be a sound discipline, it would do so in order to support a school club and in turn show support to greater Catholic morals.

But what do beards have to do with Catholicism?  The growth of beards has long been significant in Catholic tradition and has been affirmed and commended by early church fathers and biblical figures.

St. Augustine, Bishop and Doctor of the church, stated,

“The beard signifies the courageous; the beard distinguishes the grown men, the earnest, the active, the vigorous. So that when we describe such, we say, he is a bearded man.”

Clement of Alexandria, another church father, also voiced his praise for the manly attribute.

“For God has adorned man, like the lions, with a beard, and endowed him, as an attribute of manhood, with a shaggy chest, a sign of strength and rule.”

Ultimately, it’s already been approved by Heath so it’s happening regardless of what you think. Take that anti-beard suckers!