SENIOR NIGHT FESTIVITIES ENDS IN DISAPPOINTMENT

Nathan Janson

LMC HIGH SCHOOL– Monday, October 23rd, was the Women’s Varsity Volleyball senior night game. Although the night started off well, with festivities thanking the senior’s and their parents, the game did not go well, as the Lakers lost in 3 straight sets.

The game started off with a very close set, in which the Berrien Springs Shamrocks won 25-22. The Shamrocks had been up for most of the set by a significant amount, but towards the end the Lakers tried to make a comeback. Despite the Lakers attempt to get back in the game, the score differential was too great.

The Lakers seemed to have started a little slow in the first set and it continued into set two, as the Shamrocks quickly took the lead. The Lakers never let them run away with the lead, but also never made much of comeback; it ended with a 25-17 loss for the Lakers.

The 3rd set was the Lakers last chance to comeback (the game is best out of 5) and they certainly gave Berrien a run for their money. The game started off well for the girls, going up 13-10.

It looked like the Lakers could maybe force a 4th set, but then the Shamrocks scored 6 consecutive points, taking the lead by 3. After this the team kept it close, but could never take back the lead.

Addie Peters, senior, Elena Proos, sophomore, and Emily Lage, sophomore, all had big games for the Lakers. Peters and Proos combined had 4 aces and over 100 digs. Also, Lage alone had 14 kills, 2 blocks, 13 digs, and 4 aces.

The Lakers have been preparing for districts and have set their goal high, hoping to win the district trophy at home. Their first game will be in the LMC high school gym at 6:30 on, Monday, October 30.

“We are trying to perfect what we have now, instead of learning new stuff this late in the season,” said Peters about the practices leading up to the district run, in which they hope to bring home the trophy, “We hope to get to and win the districts finals.”