LAKERS TAKE THE WIN

Katie Wertheimer, Media Editor

BRIDGMAN HIGH SCHOOL – Friday, October 6, the Lakers faced off against the Bridgman Bees, and took the victory with a score of 49-14. Despite pouring rain and a torn up field, the team still made several amazing plays, and it was a great game all around.

When the game started, the Lakers were immediately inspired. Almost immediately, the Lakers got their first 2 yard touchdown made by senior, Will McCoy.

Shortly after, senior, Connor Christensen kicked for the extra point, but failed to make it through the uprights;  fortunately for the Lakers, McCoy made another touchdown from an 18 yard run.

McCoy was on fire that night and made a third touchdown from 41 yards, as well as the team gaining an extra point from Christensen’s kick. The night was full of touchdowns for the Lakers on the offensive side, including  McCoy, almost making a 95 yard touchdown, that unfortunately got called back because of a holding call on freshman, Connor Casey.

Zach Rogers made an 18 yard pass to Christian Monconduit along with a second PAT from Christensen. Daiden Shaw also scored a 43 yard touchdown at the beginning of the  fourth quarter, along with Rogers who made two more touchdowns, one 3 yard and one 56 yard touchdown after making two out of four passes.

On the defensive side of things, the Lakers were just as successful. McCoy finished the game with eleven tackles and senior, Tanner Nutting completed 1.5 tackles  and two sacks.

Christensen successfully completed 3.5 tackles and one interception, as well as senior, Dominic Damico who tackled seven and made one forced fumble.  Monconduit believed that it was a successful game for the Lakers.

“Even though we had tough conditions in the game that got in the way of our offensive side and forced some fumbles, we were still able to come up with a solid victory against Bridgman.”

Assistant coach, Josh Fairbanks, had a similar feeling.

“The game was wet and sloppy and Bridgman made some solid plays on offense. The talent divide was too large for them though, as our seniors dominated every aspect of the game. It’s always nice to go out and beat the snot out of our rival.”