SELLING POMS TO SAVE LIVES

Nathan Janson

BRIDGMAN HIGH SCHOOL – This Saturday, at the LMC vs Bridgman football game, members of the Interact Club sold pink pom poms, so that women who can’t afford mammograms can get them. To work this event, members of the Bridgman Interact Club and the LMC Interact Clubs combined forces to maximize the profit.

A mammogram is an x-ray picture of the breast, and is used on women to test if they have breast cancer. This was an extremely important cause because if a women shows symptoms of breast cancer, but can’t afford a mammogram, than their breast cancer could worsen, and even be fatal.

The Interact clubs planned this event during October because October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (NBCAM). NBCAM is an international health campaign that takes place every year to raise awareness of breast cancer.

Some of the students that devoted their time to this important event included Cole Tubman, junior, Melanie Kibler, sophomore, Sarah Jannings, freshman, and many others. Tubman really enjoyed being able to help out women who couldn’t afford something so critical.

“It felt really good to devote some of my time to others who need my help. Some women can’t afford something so vital, and if I can make a little bit of money for them, then I might be saving their life.”