FBI FINDS NCAA BASKETBALL A MAGNET OF CORRUPTION AND FRAUD

Michael Markoch

NEW YORK- The college basketball world was turned upside down after the findings of a two-year FBI investigation were announced on September 26.

Four assistant college basketball coaches and one major Adidas executive were arrested for their roles in the findings.

Coaches were accused of taking bribes from financial advisors and agents in exchange for players signing with that particular agent or firm. The Adidas executive was found guilty of paying athletes and their parents for their commitment to certain Adidas sponsored schools.

The University of Miami (Florida) was the one of the schools found to be a part of the corruption. They have attempted to say they have done nothing wrong.

The biggest findings came from the University of Louisville. The findings resulted in their future Hall of Fame coach, Rick Pitino, being placed on an unpaid leave for his part in the scandal.

Louisville is also facing other charges about playing ineligible players during the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons, which includes their 2013 national championship victory.  They would also have to give back money received from the conference for participating in the ACC championship tournament. Louisville is appealing these charges, calling them “draconian.”

LMC senior Zach Rogers, a huge college basketball fan, gave his take on the scandal.

“I was shocked because I didn’t think a coach or organization of their stature would do that just to get one player.  You don’t see that from teams like Louisville.”

The findings by the FBI are similar to those of the supposed Cam Newton scandal at Auburn.  According to that investigation, Cam or his father petitioned money from Mississippi State and Auburn in exchange for his services on the football field.

Cam was later cleared of all allegations after evidence showed it was his father’s doing and Newton went on to be the number one overall pick in the NFL Draft.

The findings of the investigation will change college basketball for the near future.  Zach had an idea for how to change this.

“More investigations should be carried out to crack down on this issue, it doesn’t belong in the game and shouldn’t be happening.” Recruits to schools like Louisville are decommitting at rapid rates because they want no part in the scandal on their records.

More coaches may begin to go to the pros to avoid allegations and will pull the famous “Pete Carroll” strategy of get out before the hammer comes down.  

Whatever happens to college basketball in the future, September 26, 2017 will forever be remembered as the day the landscape of college basketball changed forever.

Works Cited

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/fbi-probe-will-change-college-basketball-this-season-and-for-years-to-come/

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/09/29/10-pressing-questions-answers-college-basketball-recruiting-scandal-corruption