HOMECOMING CROWNING

Katie Wertheimer

LAKE MICHIGAN CATHOLIC- Homecoming week has been a staple in schools all across the country. It is known as a time of celebrating school spirit with a series of events that lead up to a big football game, but one of the main events is the crowing of the homecoming king and queen.

For LMC, the traditions are no different. The week includes dress up days and theme days where the students show their school spirit through their clothes.

There are also physical activities like the annual powder puff games and decorating the hallways. Along with all of these activities that brought the school together, the crowning of the LMC homecoming king and queen is by far the most iconic..

The homecoming court is voted for by the student body. All senior students are eligible to win.

After all the students submit their votes, the five lucky girls and boys of the senior class with the most votes were elected to appear on the homecoming court. On this years court was  Katie Sullivan, Addie Peters, Jamie Tidey, Anna LaSata, Mary Ellen Nuter, BJ Jones, Tommy Koenig, Manny Insidioso-Tucker, Jesse Scheuneman, and Corey Seger.

Those ten fortunate students walked at the football game against Brandywine on Saturday, September 30. That is when the winners were crowned by last year queen and king, Emily Zilke who is currently attending Davenport University, and Ian Cartwright, who is attending Central Michigan University.

After they were announced, all the candidates were lined up, fingers crossed, with hopes of becoming the 2017 homecoming king and queen. The first winner to be announced was for king.

Cartwright took the crown and placed it upon the head of this years homecoming king, Jesse Scheuneman.

“I was fairly confident that I was going to win, but it was still an honor and I am happy to be respected by my classmates.” said Scheuneman.

Next it was time for the Homecoming queen to be announced. Zilke began to walk over and placed the crown on the head of Addie Peters, who commented,

“I was really surprised and flattered to win homecoming queen. I’m honored to have won and I’m excited to come back next year to crown the next queen!”

Overall, it was a very successful Homecoming week for the Lakers.