NO EARLY RELEASE!

Sarah Jannings

LAKE MICHIGAN CATHOLIC–  Some of you may have noticed that there is no longer an early release on Tuesday afternoons this school year.  For those of you who may not know, last year on Tuesdays we got out at 2:35pm.  

This was because while the students got out early, the teachers stayed to have an informational meeting with the Principal of Lake Michigan Catholic Schools, Mr. Heath. This not only did a great service to our teachers, but to our school as a whole.  

Some of you may be thinking: if having this meeting improved so many things, then why is it still not going on?  I sat down with Mr. Heath and discussed with him about why we are no longer having an early release this school year.

¨With the middle school having eight hours during the day and the high school having seven, it is more important for the students to have instructional time rather than having a meeting during normal school hours,¨ said Heath

He continued to explain to me that balancing the class schedules and fitting in the two lunch times (one for HS and one for MS) was a really difficult thing to do considering early release also took place on mass days.  There will still be a meeting for our fellow principal and teachers, but it will take place after 3:00 on Wednesday afternoons.

The students are thankful that our school staff takes time to meet with each other and discuss important topics, but sadly the students won’t gain any less school time from this meeting.   

¨The decision was ultimately based on instruction time,” said Mr. Health.  

I think I’m speaking for everyone here when I say that we truly do miss getting out early once a week.  I spoke with Claire LaSata, an eighth grader at LMC and she shared with me her input on this matter.

¨I’m upset that we don’t have an early release this school year.  I think we should have it back because we work hard all week long and we deserve a half an hour break,¨  said Claire.

Even though there is no early release this school year, the idea isn’t completely out of Mr. Heath’s mind, yet.

¨An early release will be something I´ll look at again when the second quarter comes.  I´m not saying we won’t ever have one again, but nothing is for certain yet,” said Heath.  

There’s always a chance, but we must not forget every decision that Mr. Heath makes is for the greater good of our school and its students.  LMC has a bright future ahead, so we’ll just have to wait and see how this all plays out.