The Laker Softball Team Take Berrien Springs

Katie Wertheimer

LAKE MICHIGAN CATHOLIC- Tuesday, May 23, the Laker softball team competed against Berrien Springs and it was a great game. With both teams being very talented and experienced, the games were close and entertaining.

When the first game started, the Lakers started very strongly and were able to compile multiple hits within the first few innings. Anika Gaska pitched the entire first game and was strong all night, throwing 107 pitches.

They also were doing well on the defensive side. They kept Berrien Springs from getting any hits for a majority of the game and were up 11 to 0 in the fourth inning.

They were about to mercy Berrien Springs in the fifth inning, when Berrien Springs scored four runs in the remainder of the fifth and sixth innings. Though the opposing team started to catch up, they were unable to get enough hits, and the Lakers took the win in first game with the score of 13 to 4

The Lady Lakers started the second game just as determined to win as they were for the first one. Though the first inning was slightly rocky with Berrien Springs getting three runs and the Lakers unable to get a hit, along with multiple errors, they quickly turned things around until they were seven runs ahead.

Riley Hess, Junior, also scored her second homerun of the season.  Katie Stutz, junior, pitched the second game and was strong through all seven innings, throwing over 150 pitches.

Unfortunately for the Lakers, their opposing team was very fierce in the second game as well, and were able to catch up to the lakers.

It was a tight game for all seven innings. The Lakers would pull ahead, but Berrien would catch up their next time up to bat.

It was down to the wire as the seventh inning rolled around. Finally, the Lakers were able to get a two point lead and won the second game with a score of 15 to 14.

Head coach, Joe Herzog, was pumped all throughout the game and was very happy with the outcome.

We played very well in all areas of the first game. Anika Gaska earned the win on the mound pitching a complete game and helped her own cause at the plate leading LMC with a single and two doubles. Sarah Reeve also contributed two doubles while the rest of the team helped by running the bases and keeping errors to a minimum. Game two was a hard fought victory, but I was proud of the way the team kept battling back.”

Emily Lage, Freshmen, also felt proud of her team, but hopes that they can do better.

“Our first game went really well, but in the second game, we made more errors than we should have.”

Make sure to come support the team in their future games, including their district game on Saturday, May 3, at Eaton Park. Good luck Lakers!