Capstone Finalists

Melanie Kibler

LAKE MICHIGAN CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL – For the second year in a row, the LMCHS senior class has completed a project that is known as Capstone.  This theology-based project consists of a ten page paper and a slide presentation presented before a panel of judges.  

Each senior has to pick a topic that has to do with something the Catholic Church teaches.  After that they prepare for months on their presentation and their paper.

On April 19th and 20th, the seniors went in front of a panel of judges to have their Capstones judged.  There were five students that the judges thought were the best.

These students were Erika Spafford, Gabby Craig, Lizzie Stolte, Hannah Starr, and Emily Zilke.  While they were all selected as the top five in the class,only two students were actually named finalists.  The others received visa gift cards.

The two students moving forward with their Capstone are Erika Spafford and Gabby Craig.  Both have automatically won a $500 scholarship, and have a chance to win $5,000 when they present their Capstone reports on May 4th,2017.

Spafford, one of the seniors moving on in the competition tells of her experience.  

“I spent a lot of time working on it, days, weeks even, and I’m just glad that all that hard work paid off and that I am moving forward.”

Mr. Joe Schmidt, one of teachers who helped the students throughout their time spent working on their Capstones, was proud of the girls’ work.

“There were different aspects of the project and each person had different challenges.  Each person worked hard on what they were struggling so they could have an excellent presentation.  All the women went above what was expected of them and had amazing presentations.  This is what really sets them apart for the other seniors.”