Why Go to a Catholic School?

Nathan Janson

THIS IS AN EDITORIAL PIECE BY LAKER CURRENT REPORTER NATHAN JANSON

LAKE MICHIGAN CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL – This week, schools all around the world are celebrating Catholic Schools Week. Many people think that going to a Catholic school “sucks,” but those kids have certainly never been. They will say that because we have to wear uniforms, or because we have to go to mass once a week.

There is so much more to it than just looking sophisticated, or getting to celebrate religious beliefs with friends. I have been going to LMC for 13 years and I thank God everyday for the outstanding education I receive, and the wonderful friends and teachers I have gotten to know.

“LMC isn’t just a school, it’s a family.”

Allana Cunha, senior, was born and raised in Brazil, and moved to St. Joseph in January of 2010.

“I was nervous at first, but when I got to school everyone was so nice and I felt very welcomed.”

Going to a Catholic school is such special and unique experience because it isn’t just a school. The teachers, priests, and other staff members have a special relationship with students that no other school could offer.

They don’t just teach, but also treat their students with love and care that they otherwise wouldn’t get. They are willing to put in extra time and effort to make sure that their students keep up with their work and are prepared for the future.

“Because the school is so small, the students are able to get more attention from teachers than they would at any other school,” says Mrs. Janet Sullivan, Admissions Coordinator LMC parent. “The teachers are able to focus on student individually, which is why we get such high test scores.”

Not only do the students get a special education experience, but they also get to live out their religious life in a safe environment, without being afraid of being judged.  Mrs. Sullivan is a strong advocate of this.

“The most special thing about our school is that students and staff members can freely live out their religion every hour of every day.”

Students around the world are largely affected by the Catholic schools they go to. My life personally would not be the same without the family I call LMC.