Winterfest Hallway Decorations

Christy Zhou

LAKE MICHIGAN CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL – This past week was LMC’s annual Winterfest week. Just like the homecoming, students decorated their hallways according to the theme, which this year, was Harry Potter..

Freshmen had Hufflepuff, sophomores had Ravenclaw, juniors had Slytherin, and seniors had Gryffindor.

The Gryffindor house emphasizes the traits of courage as well as “daring, nerve, and chivalry,” and thus its members are generally regarded as brave, though sometimes to the point of recklessness.  Slytherin produces more than its share of dark wizards, but also turns out leaders who are proud, ambitious and cunning.

Ravenclaw members are characterized by their wit, learning, and wisdom. Its house colors are blue and bronze, and its symbol is an eagle. Hufflepuff is the most inclusive among the four houses; valuing hard work, dedication, patience, loyalty, and fair play rather than a particular aptitude in its members.

The emblematic animal is a badger, and yellow and black are its colors.

The students started making decorations a week prior, however it was the seniors who appeared to have done the most decorating.  They hung envelopes in the hallway, made the logo of the Gryffindor House crest on the lockers as well as teachers’ pictures to match different jokes in Harry Potter. They drew Harry Potter and put it on the wall in the hallway, also the 9 ¾ train.

Maddie Markoch, senior, thought that decorating the hallway was a great activity for the class to do.

“I really enjoyed doing that because it’s a fun activity to do as a class.”

For the freshmen, they put on floating candles, banners, trees, footsteps, and a dementor in their hallway in order to match their theme. Sophomores had several Hufflepuff banners in their hallway.

The juniors had no decorations, however considering that their house was Slytherin, this seemed to give the rest of the student body a good laugh.

Mrs. Jasper, thought that the seniors did a great job with their hallway decoration.

“I think the seniors did a fantastic job, they had a lot of colors and different parts of the Harry Potter story. However, the freshmen did a great job too.”