CLOSE GAME ENDS IN DEFEAT/ GIRLS GET IT DONE

Caroline McLoughlin

COUNTRYSIDE HIGH SCHOOL – Last Friday evening, the varsity boys basketball team played a high intensity game against the Countryside Cougars.

The starting line-up for the Lakers were juniors, Connor Christiensen, Thomas Koenig, Kyle Juza, Corey Seger, and senior, Andrew Zuhl.

During the 1st quarter, the Lakers set a fast pace for the game. LMC also scored a total of 13 points to Countryside’s 15 points.

The Lakers took the lead during the second quarter with the help of a technical foul on Countryside’s number 15, allowing Corey to shoot two free throws with a little over 2 minutes left in the half. LMC led the Cougars going into halftime, 30 to 27.

Starter, Corey Seger, led the team with 3 pointers during the 3rd quarter and starter, Thomas Koenig, made a shot at the buzzer to end the third quarter. This left the score at Lakers 43 to Countryside 39.

The game intensified during the last two minutes of  4th quarter.  The LMC Lakers had possession of the ball and were down only by one point.

After a timeout taken by the Lakers, senior Ryan Tidey shot two free throws, missing the first and making the second. It was a tie game until Countryside scored again making it a two point game with 56 seconds left.

After a foul, Countryside shot one and bonus, making the first and missing the second. Now down by three points and 3.9 seconds left in the game, the Lakers called another timeout.

It was the Lakers ball and starter, Connor Christiensen, who took a three point shot at the buzzer but just missed. The Lakers ended in the game with a heartbreaking loss, 48 to 51.

COUNTRYSIDE HIGH SCHOOL – Last Friday, January 6, the LMC girl’s basketball team dominated in a 50-32 win over Countryside Academy. This big win at Countryside’s gym puts the girl’s team at 2-2.

Adriana Nerio, sophomore, thought that the win was extremely important to the team.

“It really challenged us to play more aggressively, especially since they were so much bigger than us.”

The next game is a home game on Saturday the 15th and will be against Covert. Come out to the high school gym to support our girl’s team.  – Nathan Janson