Western Michigan University Shooting

Western Michigan University Shooting

Allana Cunha

KALAMAZOO, MICHIGAN – On Thursday, December 8, at around 10:30 p.m., a 20-year-old Western Michigan University student, Jacob Ryan Jones, was fatally shot on South Howard Street.

On Friday morning, Western Michigan University released the following statement about the incident.

“The University has learned that the victim of last night’s shooting was a WMU student. The WMU community is stunned by the realization that a promising life has been lost.  We extend our condolences to the family and commit to working with law enforcement officials to ensure that the responsible individuals are apprehended and that justice is served.”

Ben Agay, a Lake Michigan Catholic alumni, was in shock when he heard the news.

“I was honestly shocked when I heard about the shooting. We didn’t get an alert through the college about a shooting so I didn’t find out till the next day.

“This was the second time there was an incident involving a gun either on or next to campus this semester that I am aware of. Not including the two ex WMU football players who were charged with armed robbery and home invasion.
“Personally I didn’t feel safe when I heard but I’ve seen more police cars than normal lately so I think they are increasing their presence looking for the other suspect and trying to keep everyone else safe from harm.

“I’ve always thought of Kalamazoo as a safer area considering I used to come visit my grandparents a lot who live up here. Since I’ve committed to Western though, there has been the car running over the bicyclists, an armed robbery, and now a murder of a WMU student. I’m just shocked at the type of crime that has been occurring.”

A suspect was arrested at about 4:00 p.m. Friday and is in custody for home invasion, armed robbery and open murder.  Kathy Beauregard, the athletic director of Western Michigan University, said that a student athlete was a person of interest to the police.

A felony homicide case was opened by Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety to Joeviair Alize Kennedy, a 20-year-old, Western Michigan University basketball player.

Police are still looking for another person who could be connected to the devastating shooting that killed Western Michigan University’s student, Jacob Ryan Jones.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2016/12/police_make_arrest_in_fatal_sh.html

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/crime/man-20-shot-to-death-near-western-michigan-university/367066194